Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Place of my heart and home



There recent tragedy that struck our community and state hit home for me. I knew more than one who had passed, all great and truly loved people. When I first heard there was a problem I thought, "No it isn't Cory or any of them that I know." I was wrong. I think I am still in shock. I attended the candlelight vigil tonight and it was so sad to see such a vast number of people I know and love so devastated.
Joe Manchin was there and he spoke to everyone. He first gave his condolences, but then he started talking about how he is dealing with the media. They all perceive us as unintelligent rednecks, but he told how that if any of them would go up a "crick" or "holler" that if they were hungry, they would be fed. If they were lost, we would not only give them directions, but offer to take them ourselves. He just talked about when he spoke to the families affected he didn't see twenty different families, he saw one big one.
I feel very proud to be a West Virginian. I love this state. It is city and country, crazy yet relaxing, with fun and beauty all mixed together. It is hot in the summer and snows in the winter. This state is like we say, "Almost heaven."

2 comments:

  1. I think Governor Manchin and you hit the nail right on the head! The people are what makes this state great!

    ReplyDelete